Sightseeing

Before constructed the fortress of Parga which survives until today, the inhabitants of Parga tried to maintained fortified city, which was exposed to the sea, so they can face the Raiders. In their effort they had built the first fortifications and with the help of the Normans. The 1452 takes the fortified position Hadji Bey but the 1454 the re-conquer the inhabitants of. Barbarossa the 1537 demolished the existing fort and town.

The castle is made again with the help Venetian, but before completion demolished again by the Turks. The Venetians 1792 They build for the third and last time a perfect strong fortress, remains impregnable until 1819, despite the attacks mainly of Ali Pasha set up the castle of Agia - Anthousas besieges them.

The Venetians created perfection defense plan with the natural fortification made it invincible fortress. Outside the castle eight towers in various locations, completed the defense. Inside the narrow space of the citadel was stacked 400 houses, in a way to occupy little space, apyrovlita from the sea.

From the tap "Hanging" supplied by the water tanks of the castle and houses. The castle for the supply of, used the two bays: Valtos and Parga Pogonias.To castle was impregnable throughout the Ali Pasha's administration and offered great relief to Souli who fought back. In this castle, free besieged citizens of Parga and Souli gave heroic battles and kept their freedom for centuries.

The castle of Parga can be reached through narrow streets and steps from the port of Parga and there paved road leading to Valtos beach.

When Parga was sold to the Turks in 1819, Alis it further strengthened and installed on top of the harem and hammam, radically rewrites throughout the castle.

In an arched entrance gate at the wall divided the winged lion of St. Mark, the name "ANTONIO CERVASS 1764», emblems of Ali Pasha, biceps eagles and relative inscriptions. vaulted passageways, rooms redoubts, supplies galleries, strong bastions with gun ports, small arms lockers, It said that there is even a hidden passage to the sea, barracks, prisons, warehouses and two forts on the last line of defense : show integrity defense plan with the natural fortification made it invincible fortress.

Today the castle is illuminated and has the possibility for the public to visit. In the central area have been reconstructed two main buildings that host theatrical performances and exhibitions crowd. Castle refreshment bar-cafeteria, Exhibit space occupied photo exhibition. The castle is open to visitors from early morning until late at night.

The islet of Panagia. It is one of the most famous sights of Parga. Arriving at the port of the first thing that will drop your eye is the church of Panagia by boat which is one fourth the very. Access by sea only become. From the port of Parga I watched until marriage to make and was very nicely floodlit church. The bride arrived at the island with the boat where the other boats came around. The islet of Panagia, Located opposite the port of Parga, the combination of the small church and the picturesque bell tower and the small French-made castle which dominates the highest point of the island is a unique image that whatever see the reflected for many years. Summer is very easy to access the island and is something that one tourist and a traveler passing through Parga must not lose.

The Ecclesiastical Museum is located in the city center, next to the parish church of the Holy Apostles. In the rich collection of the museum, including, They include two Gospels of the 17th century, images invaluable as Panagia Vlacherna, the Panagiopoulas and Panagia Odigitria and duplicate Epitaph monk of Mount Athos dating in 1600. Here hosted and 300 age banner of Parga, which is made of red silk and has been painted with oil on both sides, wherein Notre illustrated with sulfur infant and onto the signs differ from spheres of Turks.

It is a Byzantine monastery of the 12th century, located in a beautiful location, on top of a hill, in the area of ​​Valtos Parga. It has a great bell Ionian rhythm height 15 measures, where, according to tradition, He had nine bells when struck sounded remotely 12 mile. The steeple is all that has survived, as the monastery has been destroyed. The ruins that surround the ruined small single-nave church, the battlements are distinguished in surrounding wall. The image of Our Lady Vlacherna, allegedly came from Cappadocia and exposed to Ecclesiastical Museum Parga.

The castle of Ali Pasha is located on a hill between the villages Anthousa and Agia, 5 kilometers north of Parga. It is a massive and imposing building, Built in 1814 under the supervision of Italian engineer Monteleone, aiming to be the base of Ali Pasha during the siege of Parga. The castle has been preserved in very good condition, conjuring up images of the time guests. During your tour you will see the underground tanks, the pyritapothiki and rooms of Ali Pasha, with fireplace and cupboards. On the north side there are two bastions and scalding to protect login. also preserved parts of the devil, with remains of Russian and English guns. The location offers a great views of the Ionian islands and a good idea is to visit the train that starts from the beach of Parga, enabling an enjoyable route. At night the illuminated castle, offering a spectacular sight.

The Lamp is one of the most popular beaches for the locals and tourists and it is no coincidence that those who swam in the waters continue to visit for years fanatically. This is a 1300m sand beach with the main features of the imposing cliffs that rise vertically on the left and the green olive groves stretching to the right of. You really can rent a canoe or a pedalo and visit the surrounding small secluded beaches and especially to enter the cave of Venus. It is a large natural cave to the left of the beach where legend says the goddess Venus to bathe there the.

The old mill of Lekka Parga, revived and transformed into a cozy museum olive and wine tasting.

The brothers Gregory and Elias Lekka were traders involved in the marketing of olive, core, timber, citrus (lime) and oaks in Parga.

As part of their commercial activity in 1929 They founded the first mill motor in Parga, moving and processing of olives.

The 1954 The mill was equipped with a generator and 1960 It was with electricity. The change in the property and the parallel electrification Pargas, the 1960, led to the renovation of the mill.

The decade of 1970, It was now sole owner Spyros Lekka, son Gregory. The period 1974- 1975 It seems to have been the last time I worked the mill.

The 2009 the mill fell into the hands of the current owners of the, to Athena and Elijah Liakri, raised like objective the restoration and preservation and promotion of artisanal this Parga activity. Such as testifies presumption of Lekka file, Parga in existence since the 1930 five motorized mills. The 1949, It seems to have already created registered association, the Union of Industrialists expression Olive Region Parga, to defend their common interests.

From these five motorized mills, today maintained only Mill Brothers Lekka, which preserves the original factory equipment and part of the file is available for tour guests.